I love teriyaki so much, so I decided to make it with tofu rather than chicken. I usually have teriyaki with noodles but I thought it would be nice to have it with rice for a change plus its easier to eat as I’m rubbish with chop sticks, I really need the practice though as I’m going to china in November. to make it a bit healthier I added some greens like broccoli, avocado and sliced cucumber marinated in rice vinegar and sesame seeds. I’m not really a huge meat eater apart from chicken and processed meat like mince but I’m trying to cut down my meat consumption, so this dish is perfect for that as it doesn’t compromise on flavour. the cucumber was one of my favourite elements of the dish. I think I could just eat a bowl of it on its own. this dish is so easy to make and is great if your in a hurry.
for the teriyaki
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger
- Finely grate the ginger (1 inch cube)
- Put all of the ingredients (grated ginger, 4 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce, 4 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, 3 tbsp honey) into a bowl and give it a good stir.
- Heat a wok or frying pan until sizzling hot. Add the ingredients and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until it has reduced to about half the volume you started with, it will also darken in colour and become glossier. Stir constantly.
- Remove from the heat and it’s now ready to use.
press the tofu under a tea towel and heavy pan for 15 minutes then slice into cubes and add to the sauce and leave to marinate for 20 minutes then tip back into the pan. mean while cook the rice according to the packet and boil or steam the broccoli. thinly slice the cucumber and place in a bowl and add 1/4 cup of rice vinegar and toss the cucumber in it and add some toasted sesame seeds.
stir some sesame seeds in the rice then add some into a bowl, add some tofu, and veggies squeeze over some lime and enjoy.
Elizabeth Palmer says
The recipe & photos sounds/looks great but very incomplete directions on how much tofu. Broccoli? Cucumber marinade – how much, how long, etc. Wanted to post for my plant-based clients on Pinterest but too incomplete. Thanks for good ideas.
i just left it in the vinegar for a few minutes so its not properly pickled, the tofu I used one packed and the broccoli I used one
So yummy and easy Aimee! You got a real macrobiotic in you! 😉
thank you silvia xxxx