I was looking at pictures of funfetti cakes and I thought it would be fun to create one that is natural, so i had a think and decided to try it with cornflower petals as they are so bright I knew if I used a fatless pale sponge they would show up. Luckily my experiment worked and I’m so happy with how it turned out. I got the cornflowers from maddocks farm organics I just love working with edible flowers they are so beautiful.
- 4 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 60ml double cream
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- Small edible flowers (organic unsprayed)
- Jam (i used blueberry)
- Preheat the oven to 160c
- Line two 11cm tins
- Whip the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick ( approx 5 minutes )
- Fold in the flour gently and then fold in the petals from cornflowers i used pink blue and purple.
- Pour into the tins and bake for about 30 minutes
- Let cool
- For frosting whip the cream and icing sugar until thick spoon jam onto one of the layers then pipe on cream and use a pallet knife to spread it over the cake. Then press edible flowers into the frosting. I used a selection of different ones like viola, phlox
Wonderful pictures and setting! Just love the colors. Good job.
This is so beautiful! i remember my mom putting edible flowers on cakes when I was little . This actually inspired me to start a Pinterest board for ways to show mom love! Waiting for a special occasion to try this for mom!
Noha @Matters of the belly says
this has got to be the most gorgeous cake I’ve ever seen! What a genius idea! Absolutely love the styling and photography as well, you have such a distinctive style xx
thankyou so much xxx
this is a breathtaking cake – just beautiful! Big fan of yours!
Thankyou so much Kate xxx
Hi quick question, did you have to flatten the flowers beforehand to get them to lie flat or just press them on? Thank you!
No if you just press them on to the frosting they will lay flat xxx
Thank you! ? Xx
Just had to share. This is so lovely!
Where can I buy edible flowers from ?
In the uk I buy them from Maddocks farm organics
Were would you buy edible flowers in Australia ? Thanku
I’m not too sure about aus but if you search on google for edible flowers in your area maybe tyoe in buy edible flowers Australia?, or use home grown or organic ones that are edible like cornflowers, pansies or violas
Is there no butter in this? xx
no it is a fat less sponge x
This cake is absolutely gorgeous! I just had to tell you because it’s so unique and lovely! <3
thank you x