sliced sour dough focaccia
Print Recipe

Sourdough wild garlic focaccia

sourdough focaccia with porcini and wild garlic
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: bread, focaccia, sourdough, wild garlic
Servings: 4


  • 100 g active sourdough starter (check it is active by doing the float test)
  • 330 g strong white bread flour
  • 200 grams water or porcini stock (see note) (i used a porcini stock made with 10g dried porcini mushrooms soaked in 200ml boiling water for 30 minutes)
  • 5 grams salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 5 wild garlic leaves finely chopped
  • Wild garlic leaves and herbs for the top


  • If using porcini mushroom stock as the liquid soak mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes.
    Drain to remove mushrooms and measure liquid, add more water if you need to to make 200ml.
    (if not using porcini just use 200ml water)
    Chop the soaked mushrooms (if using) with the wild garlic and set aside.
    Add the porcini liquid in a large bowl then mix in the starter and oil.
    Mix in the flour and salt and chopped garlic and mushrooms.
    Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, it is easier with a stand mixer if you have one, if not use a dough scraper as its quite a wet dough.
    Place in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and let it prove for 4 hours. This is the bulk fermentation stage.
    During these four hours, i stretch & fold the dough once every hour to strengthen the gluten. To do this i lift up one corner of dough, stretch it upwards into the air and then fold it over itself.
    Then Rotate the bowl by 1/4 and stretch and fold the dough again and rotate the bowl again. Continue this process until you have come full circle, then cover the bowl back up again.
    After 4 hours you should see some rise in the dough.
    Line a sheet pan and drizzle over some olive oil, tip the dough onto it and stretch it out into a rectangle.
    Cover with plastic wrap, but make sure it doesn’t touch the dough and place in the fridge over night. (you can do at room temp, but it can take 5 hours sometimes longer)
    remove the tray from fridge and leave to come to room temp for 1 to 2 hours.
    the dough should be bubbly and risen, if not it may need more time.
    preheat oven to 180c 350f.
    with oiled fingers press imprints into the dough and then drizzle over oil and salt.
    Place on some cleaned wild garlic leaves, and blanched nettles too if you wish, then bake for 25 minutes until golden.