I am happy to announce two new photography workshops that i am holding, in two very different locations, one in hampi in India and the other in Scotland. both are focused on food photography and styling. do you want to lean a new skill or do you want to improve the skills you already have? then these workshops are great for you, The one in India will be held with rakhee from box of spice who i have held two workshops with previously to see my blog posts from those see here and here
The attendees from our previous two workshops said that they had an incredible time and learnt to much, so it is going to be great to hold another one together in India.
India is an incredible location and i fell in love with it the first time i visited. rakhee went to hampi last year to check out the hotel and these photos she took show how amazing this part of India is.Hampi India
12 – 16 September, 2018
LOCATION – Hampi, Karnataka, India.
The retreat is located in a magnificent landscape and the resort where we will stay, reflecting the fort like entrances, stone-paved boulevards, arched hallways and regal chambers mirroring the famed palaces of a bygone but glorious era. Your stay will be in luxurious rooms that are a perfect blend of traditional architectural charm juxtaposed with modern facilities.
Travel back in time to the glorious days of the 14th century Vijayanagara Empire, in the fantasy land of boulders and ruins. Let the monuments at Hampi tell you the story of what was once described as “the best provided city in the world”. With stunning rugged forests and boulders forming its backdrop is where we will take pictures not just of the stunning food on offer but also its people and landscape.
In this perfect setting learn not only the tips and tricks in Food Photography and Styling but also walk where once Kings and Queens did. Learn about the amazing history of one of the richest and most successful empires in the history of the world.
WHO IS THE WORKSHOP FOR?
This workshop is for anyone who has been thinking of delving into photography seriously or even as a hobby. It is for any level of photographer. For the beginner who has never picked up a camera, we will be going through camera settings and photography basics. For the intermediate and advanced photographer, you will be in a stunning location, in a setting perfect for photography, honing your skills. This retreat is perfect for those interested in food photography (but not limited to) and who want to meet like-minded creatives from around the world.
A 5-day food photography workshop, where both Rakhee and Aimee will share their knowledge on technical skills, styling, social media, creative writing, and Adobe Lightroom. There will be classes we teach together, others will be taught separately and an opportunity to talk 1-on-1 with us about your goals and ambitions concerning food photograpy, styling, blogging (+ editing) etc. Aside from the learning, we will also gather, laugh, enjoy each other’s company and have an amazing time in this beautiful country.
Classes + activities:
Theory of photography – We will talk about the basic camera settings. By the end of the workshop you will know everything about ISO, aperture, shutter speed, composition, lenses, full frame vs. cropped frame, white balance, how to approach lighting and much more. On top of that, you will know how to use this knowledge to your advantage and become your camera’s best friend.
Styling practical – For this class we learn by doing. Rakhee and Aimee will show you how we go about styling and creating a food story. Both bloggers will demonstrate how to create moody settings which beautifully contrasts the bright colors of food. We will also show you how you could lighten pictures, if that is the direction you’d like to take. All dependant on the style you choose. We will also show you how to purposely use props, and what negative space does with your photography.
Heritage walk – Hampi’s ruins are spread over 16 square miles and has been described by UNESCO as an “austere, grandiose site” of more than 1,600 surviving remains of the last great Hindu kingdom in South India that includes “forts, royal and sacred complexes, temples, shrines, pillared halls, mandapas, memorial structures and water structures. We will have the chance to not only visit these ruins but also have the opportunity to shoot them.
How to use Adobe Lightroom – A sit down session where we talk about editing your photos and how to create a personal preset to give your images that consistent look and feel.
The business of social media – In this session we talk about growing a community on Instagram and Pinterest, talk about developing a style, the use of hashtags, dealing with the algorithms, how to go about sponsored posts, collaborations, balancing creativity & business,
Feasting – You will be treated to exotic food that was prepared for royals hundreds of years ago! You will be indulged and pampered to the best vegetarian or non-vegetarian food that this region has to offer by some of the best chefs in India.
- Workshop will cover: basic camera settings such as shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and their effects on the image. Lenses and their focal lengths, manipulation of natural lighting, food styling and plating, and post production in Adobe Lightroom.
A DLSR, or smart phone camera is required. (no point and shoot)
- All accommodation, meals, drinks (excluding mineral alcohol), walks are included in the workshop cost.
- Price listed is per person.
- Space limited to 8 attendees.
- Wednesday September 12th: Check in and welcome dinner cooked by Rakhee and Aimee at 7:30 pm.
- Tuesday September 13th: Photography lessons, hands on shooting & styling, visit the UNESCO Heritage Site.
- Wednesday September 14th: Styling lessons, hands on shooting & styling, social media, how to pitch to brands and creative writing.
- Thursday September 15th : Adobe Lightroom demonstration, tips and tricks, human element photography.
Visit more ruins.
- Friday September 16th: Farewell breakfast at 9 am, guests depart by noon.
Single bed (shared room) $1950
Queen bed (shared room) $2250
4 nights shared accommodation
A shared room on a beautiful and luxurious resort for the retreat period
All classes and demonstrations
All meals and drinks (alcohol not included)
Visit to the historic site
A wonderful goodie bag
Transport to and from to the location
There are several ways to get to Hampi. I am listing them below:
- Fly to Bangalore International Airport (BLR) and drive to Hampi. Its a 6 hour drive through a beautiful countryside.
A rare opportunity to see India and its villages.
- Fly into Hyderabad Airport (HYD) and then take a local flight to Jindal Vidyanagar (VDY). This will bring you just 37 kms away from Hampi. Airport transfer from Jindal Vidyanagar are included.
- If you are a seasoned traveler and would like to explore the option of traveling by bus or train from the nearest airport, I can help you plan this.
EXTENDED STAY IN INDIA
Please let me know if you would like to stay in India little longer or come some days before the workshop begins. I can advise you on neighbouring cities and places to visit. If you would like to travel extensively in India, I can help you plan this.
A 50% deposit will be required on booking to hold your place, the balance will be payable latest by August 1, 2018.
(If you would like to pay in three instalments please mention this in the email)
Secure your spot today by sending an email to email@example.com.
After the deposit is paid, you will be required to pay the remainder which will be due no later than August 1, 2018.
No refunds will be available unless you find someone to take your spot.
* in order to provide optimal experience, the program may be subject to small or minor changes dependant on local partners.
August 24th -28th (spaces limited) there is also an option to come for the day
Set over 4 nights this intimate workshop takes place on the coast of Scotland in Prestwick, this is an ideal location for a trip to the isle of Arran where we will go on day three.
On the first two days we will have hands on food photography and styling workshop where i will share all i know about food photography and styling. then we will take the ferry over to arran for the day and enjoy the beautiful island and take some outdoor shots.
FRIDAY 24th aug
Arrive: Anytime after 4pm (tea & coffee available)
Assemble in lounge for 6.30pm
Dinner at 7pm
3 course dinner with soft drinks/wine, coffee/tea after in lounge
Breakfast – 8 to 9am
Workshop start at 10am approx.
Mid morning coffee & treats – 11.30am
Lunch – 1.30pm , 2 courses with soft drinks/wine
Workshop resume at 2pm
MidAfternoon Tea break – 3.30/4pm
Assemble in lounge 6.30pm
Dinner at 7pm, 3 Course with soft drinks/wine, tea/coffee after in lounge
Breakfast – 7.00 to 8.00am
Train Station for 8.34am train from Prestwick Town to Ardrossan Harbour – arrive 9.20am
Ferry to Arran 9.45am, arrive Arran 10.40am
Day in Arran
Last ferry back is 7.20pm, arrive on Main land 8.15pm
Train from Ardrossan Harbour to Prestwick Town – 8.30pm. Arrive Prestwick 9.15pm
Tea & Coffee available.
breakfast then leave before lunch time
the workshop will include
- two full days of learning, we will talk about camera settings, natural light, styling and editing. we will style and photograph together and create a visual story.
- day trip to arran with lunch and dinner and train/ferry
- 4 nights accommodation
- all meals in a Scottish theme cooked for us.
The photography workshops we will learn
- How to shoot in manual mode,
- How to use natural light and the best angles
- How to style a scene, prop placement, colour pallets
- How to capture movement and hands on photography
- How to tell a story with your photos
- How to find your personal style
- Editing with Photoshop light room
- Social media talks and blogging advice
there are 5 rooms available, I am going to sell them as single occupancy but if you want to come to the workshop with a friend and share i can reduce the cost.
£1600 pp for four nights
- all meals and drinks
- day trip to arran
does not include travel to or from the workshop
If you don’t want to stay in the house and just want to come on the day you can attend the photography workshops on the Saturday or Sunday or both, they will be priced at £350 a day including lunch
we will be staying in Prestwick which is easily assessable from Glasgow.
to Book email firstname.lastname@example.org