my partner and I went blackberry picking at the weekend so I made this cake with some of the berries. I made the jasmine honey a few weeks ago by simply adding some jasmine flowers into a jar of honey to infuse it. I whipped the cake batter with the whisk attachment until it was pale and had lots of volume so the sponge was wonderfully soft (rather than the . we enjoyed it with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I love foraging for fruit I also got a bag of elderberries on our walk in the woods.
archie checking if I left him any!
- 220g caster sugar (1 cup)
- 220g butter (1 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 220g self raising flour (1 and half cups)
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- preheat the oven to 160c
- grease and line a 2 pound loaf tin
- fit the balloon whish attachment to the stand mixer and add the butter and sugar and whip until pale and fluffy making sure to stop and scape around the bowl so it is mixed properly then continue mixing, (5 minutes) then add an egg and mix for a further 4 minutes then add the next one, (while whipping constantly add the eggs on at a time leaving time between each one I usually leave 3 to 4 minutes between adding the first two then about two minutes between each of the last two this way the batter has volume and fluffy)
- tip in the blackberries while the mixer is on to smash them up into the batter.
- fold in the flour with a spatula then add the almonds
- tip into the lined tin and bake for about 55 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean
- serve drizzled with jasmine honey, yogurt and sugared almonds