i have seen so many recipes for macarons but this one i came across in a cook book i found is completely different than anything i have tried i have tried and failed at french macarons so i thought i would try the italian method
125g icing sugar sifted
125g ground almonds
2 large egg whites (very important that they weight 90g)
110g caster sugar
3 tbsp water
140g unsalted butter
280 g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1. preheat oven at 150c of 300f
line baking trays with non stick baking paper
2. put sifted icing sugar, almonds and 40g of the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon in to a paste
3. put caster sugar and water in to a heavy pan on medium to low and heat for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved then mix and turn up the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until it reaches 115c on a thermometer. it should be thick and syrup like.
4. whisk the remaining 50g of egg white in a bowl until soft peaks then gradually whisk in the hot syrup until stiff and shiny. then add it to the paste and mix it together
5. add food colouring and mix well
6. put the mixture into a piping bag and make small circles onto the baking trays and sprinkle on chopped pistachio nuts. then leave on the side for half an hour so a skin can form.
7. put in the oven for 15 minutes until firm with the door slightly ajar.
for the butter cream
1. but the butter in mixing bowl and whisk until soft.
2. add half the amount of icing sugar and whisk again until smooth and add the rest.
3. add the lavender extract (a few drops) and milk and continue whisking until firm. and put in a icing bag and chill.
leave the macarons on the baking paper for an hour before you remove them so that they are firm and dry. then assemble them.